Thursday 19 September 2013

Meals for young children while traveling

Traveling with both young babies is really a big headache for me especially on their meals. Enrique is quite a choosy eater and Eduardo is still on semi solid food. And also, in Spain, the dishes are very salty which is not suitable for young children. With them, I always have to bring along a small rice cooker and a kettle as they both need to drink milk. I had a few bad experiences trying to get hot water from the hotels in Spain. Therefore, I prefer to bring my own kettle so that I do not need to go around begging people.


On a typical 3 days 2 nights holiday, I will prepare cereals and bottled puree for Eduardo. For Enrique, I will bring some rice, macaroni and few packets of instant noodles, chicken stock cube (no msg added) and some veg such as carrot and broccoli, hot dog and frozen marinated meat. During our recent trip to Santander, I bought eggs in one of the supermarket too.

During holidays, I am busier than I am not. I have to wake up 2-3 hours before the set off time to prepare the children breakfast and lunch.

In the morning, I will feed both with a bottle of milk with additional some bread or porridge.

For Enrique lunch, I cook either porridge/ macaroni/ noodles with vegetables/ hotdog/ meat. All using half cube of the chicken stock for some taste. So far, Enrique has enjoyed the prepared food although it might not seems to be a healthy meal but at least he is full and he also take some food that we eat for our meals. If possible, we will try to return to the hotel in the late afternoon for them to rest and I will feed them dinner before we go out for our own dinner. If can't we will find something that suits Enrique.

For Eduardo, I gave him either cereal or bottled puree for his meals. I was lucky that he eats the bottled puree that his Paediatrician recommended. Previously, when Enrique was younger, he doesn't take the bottled puree at all. So you can imagine, how difficult it was for him as I only fed him with cereals and milk, sometimes with some baby biscuits and bread.

When I was living in Singapore, giving baby bottled puree is a 'NO NO' for me as I cook every meals for Enrique. I believe to give him the best and fresh food. But after living in Spain for sometime, I have seen many parents giving their babies bottled puree. I changed my perception after consulting their Paediatrician. It was really much easier for travellers and getting it warm at most of the restaurants are convenient as well. Therefore, since young, I trained Eduardo to eat bottled puree once a week to cater for travelling or when necessary.

I also brought a container and sterilising tablet for their bottles when Eduardo was before one year old. Now, I just used hot water to rinse. Detergents, sponge, table cloth and their bowls and spoons are also a must. All these items already occupied one small luggage. You might think that I am a crazy mum to bring so many items for holiday. Yap, I agree too, sometimes, I think going holiday is really chore but I still enjoy doing all this for my children.

I guess the rice cooker and the kettle are now part of our travel companion and it will be with us for at least another 1.5 years or when Eduardo starts to eat solid. Sometimes, we use the rice cooker to cook instant noodles for ourselves when we are too tired or lazy to go out for food. Do you also bring along rice cooker or kettle when you go for long holiday?


No comments :

Post a Comment