Wednesday 11 September 2013

Traveling while on breastfeeding

I chose to give birth to both Enrique and Eduardo in Singapore. Therefore, I have to travel back to Madrid after birth as my hubby had to returned to Madrid when Eduardo was 2 weeks old.

When Eduardo was 2 months and Enrique was 23 months we flew back to Madrid. We took Thai Airways from Singapore to Bangkok and transit for 2 hours before flying another 12 hours to Madrid. Luckily, my mother in law was helpful to travel with us.  It really eased me a lot as Enrique was very sticky to me. Previously, While I was pregnant with Eduardo, I flew alone with Enrique and it was still manageable but this time, with both, it does worry me.

Apart from packing the luggage, it was a big headache to plan on the in-flight arrangement as I am still breastfeeding Eduardo. Things such as how am I going to store the milk and bring the least items. It really freaked me out as there were too many items on the list and my hubby is not around to help. Well, I spent time asking my friends who had also traveled while they are on breastfeeding and looking up information in the net and books as well.

The day comes, I went to the fridge and get it filled with my pre prepared frozen milk (it act as an ice pack and if it melts, I can use it to feed them. Therefore, I can bring less milk powder for the elder child. 

Here's the list to bring on flight
Fridge to go
Milk bottles for both
Stainless steel cup to warm up milk
Medela freestyle breastpumped
Milk powder for Enrique
Water bottle for Enrique
Snacks for Enrique
Diapers for both
Extra clothing for myself and children
Four to five toys
Pacifier
Small blanket

These are the must have items when I travel with my young children
Fridge to go, Vacuum flask, Thermos flask (for food) and the stainless steel cup

At the door, I looked at myself and asked myself if I am ready, did I missed out any items….And I look at myself again, one small bag for our passports, Two medium size bag for the items above and one pram. These were meant to be hand carry. It's hell a lot to handle and still have to manage the two young children. I am fighting hard inside my heart, knowing that it will be a tough journey!

As we were on night flight, it means the children will be sleepy during the flight which is a plus for me. Before, we board the plane, I latched Eduardo and pumped after I reached Bangkok. The challenge was the next flight to Madrid. How am I going to handle the children if they don't sleep. I am afraid that they scream and cry and make scene in the plane as we have encountered many times seeing other families handling it. It was awful for the parents and also hard for other passengers too. And now, I am one of those parents.

During the initial hours was fine, Eduardo was sleeping and Enrique slept for a while too. When both were sleeping, I hurried geared up my breastpumped and headed to the toilet while my mother in law (MIL) helped to watch them. God knows, when I was almost done, I could hear Enrique screaming louder and louder for Mummy and then Eduardo woke up too. I have to stop and help my MIL. 

I stored my milk in the Fridge to go and ask the Stewardess to put it in their fridge. Luckily I had frozen milk as the plane does not has a freezer. It helped to keep all the milk in good condition.

Throughout the flight, I do not get to sleep a minute as either one of my child will make some noise and I have to attend or when there was a turbulence, I have to carry Eduardo out of the bassinet. It occurred a few times and it disturbed his sleep very much. I also found myself taking turns to carry them strolling on the plane. I felt awkward initially but I got used to it later. My poor MIL also had to carry Eduardo in her arms to sleep when I had to attend to Enrique.

I expressed my milk twice and fed my two babies and entertained them. Finally, the Captain announced that we were reaching Madrid. My heart lit up as I know, my husband is waiting for us at Barajas Airport. When he saw me, I had a panda eyes. : (

Hope this information will help you when you are planning your holiday while on breastfeeding. There, will be more posting on traveling with young children as we love to travel. 

Don't put away holidays plans with your young children as you might think that it is too troublesome and cumbersome. If you have a positive mindset, you will probably find it manageable and fun. Practice makes perfect. Start off with short trip and it helps you to build confidence for the next trip.



No comments :

Post a Comment